Page Nav

HIDE

Breaking News:

latest

Ask HN: Ideas for Late Career Reinvigoration?

Ask HN: Ideas for Late Career Reinvigoration? https://ift.tt/F91yBTY Throwaway. I'm a mid 40's developer (non-manager) who's wo...


Ask HN: Ideas for Late Career Reinvigoration? https://ift.tt/F91yBTY Throwaway. I'm a mid 40's developer (non-manager) who's worked at a gamut of companies (big cos, startups, self employment/contract, "fun" but low-paying gigs), in many problem domains, but mainly FAANG for the most of the last ~15 years. Close to being able to retire, but not quite there yet. I'm bored. I've done a bit of everything at this point, and it's starting to feel tedious. I don't care about title/level anymore. With various market meltdowns, the golden handcuffs are feeling less binding, and I'm feeling a bit more free to make choices career-wise, since at this point I'm fortunate in that I only really need to cross the finish line so to speak. I have no desire to leave software development - I'm not going to become a woodworker or teacher. After I retire I will still code as one of my main hobbies. But everywhere I look, it all seems very "been there, done that." I've reinvented myself several times over my career (domain-wise) and I think I'm quite malleable in that regard, but the intrinsic motivation is waning after decades of enthusiasm. What have other folks my age done when this sort of ennui hits? 1

No comments