Page Nav

HIDE

Breaking News:

latest

Ask HN: How to pass a “Product Sense” interview?

Ask HN: How to pass a “Product Sense” interview? https://ift.tt/kWeZl1g I'm a Product Manager who's been applying for jobs recently...


Ask HN: How to pass a “Product Sense” interview? https://ift.tt/kWeZl1g I'm a Product Manager who's been applying for jobs recently and have had a good amount of interest from companies that I would be excited to work for. Each time I make it through the initial recruiter interview, then the casual chat with a PM, and then fail at the "Product Sense" portion of the interview. Now, I'm not new to being a PM, I've been operating in a Senior role at a Big-N tech company for 5 years, and over the course of that time brought multiple products from 0 to 1 to v2.0 that has netted us high 9 figures. So I'm in this weird place where I know I'm a decent enough PM, but for whatever reason the structure of the interview just isn't conducive for me showing my best self. These interviews are very open ended. The interviewer will suggest a hypothetical product or market that a hypothetical company wants to be successful in, and asks how you'd go about building that product, getting information about that market, and how you would prioritize features based on information you discover....and that's it, then its just up to you the interviewee to ask questions, discern information, and try and make calls. The interviewer will often not give specific answers to your questions at all, so you have to make up your own answers, and then build on those. For whatever reason, my questions, answers, and plans (most of which come from my real life experience) dont seem to be satisfactory. How do I do better at these? 2

No comments